The University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law (University of Maryland School of Law or Maryland Law) is the second-oldest law school in the United States. The school was founded in 1816 as the Maryland Law Institute and began regular instruction in 1824. Because of its location, Maryland Law is part of the District of Columbia–Baltimore legal and business communities.
In 2003, the law school moved into a new, state-of-the-art facility in downtown Baltimore near the Inner Harbor and Oriole Park at Camden Yards. In 2011, the law school received a $30 million donation from the W.P. Carey Foundation, which is the largest gift in the school’s history. In response, the law school changed its name to the University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law.
Maryland Law has been ranked in the top tier of American law schools by U.S. News & World Report, maintaining its position in the rankings over the years, currently ranked 39th in the most recent 2013 edition. The 2013 Rankings also gave Maryland top standing in the categories of Clinical Training (#5), Health Care Law (#3), Part-Time Program (#9), Environmental Law (#11) and Trial Advocacy (#8). Additionally, Maryland ranks 22nd in the nation among public law schools. The National Jurist recently named Maryland as a top-10 public interest law school in the nation.
Maryland Law is fully accredited by the American Bar Association, is a member of the Association of American Law Schools, and has a chapter of the Order of the Coif.